"And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men" (Luke 2:52).
This was a "theme" the Lord brought me to when I met my wife. It is interesting but as I've matured in the Lord, I have noticed more and more that He often reveals things to me in themes. Some of the more recent themes over the past few years have been "spreadable fruit (fruit of the Spirit)," light, spiritual warfare, favor, God's rest and prayer.
Favor was a significant theme and involved favor for both Yvethe and I, first with God, and then with "men" (people). This was spoken to both Yvethe and I independently, yet we noticed it together.
I, much like David, have been asking, "Who am I?" When Saul offered his daughter to David to be his wife, he responded “who am I and what is my family or my father’s clan in Israel, that I should become the king’s son-in-law?” (1 Sam. 18:18). I often asked the Lord the same thing. Who am I to receive the King's daughter? (Yvethe) This is the unmerited grace and favor of God.
After a large offering was taken for the building of Solomon’s temple, David’s prayer was: “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand?” (1 Chr. 29:14). I have asked the Lord the same thing as He has blessed the work of my hands abundantly. This is the unmerited grace and favor of God.
I don't understand God's love and grace, favor and blessing, especially when I have been so disgracefully sinful. But in humbling ourselves before God, we find God's favor and blessing. We can even be glad in the face of slander, lies, and gossip. In living lives of grace and faith, we give witness of God's blessing and favor to all who encounter us. I had a heart full of sin, yet He cleansed me and gave me clean hands and a pure heart that I may be used by Him, and lift my hands to Him in praise and worship.
I don't know what God sees in me but I will say that I now know he has great plans for me. I always questioned my calling until now. I won't go into any detail except to say that He has clearly revealed this to me, and I am more excited than ever because I know He is going to accomplish a lot of it in the near future. He has a hedge of protection around me and has shown me completely unmerited favor, humbling me and causing me to ask, "Who am I?" The answer is obviously "no one!" But Christ in me is my hope, not for my glory but for His! And as I rest in Him and His handiwork, He is able to do what He wants. If I come to Him and take His yoke as He commands (Matt. 11:28-30), He gives me rest for my soul, exactly what I am feeling, but to take His yoke I had (and daily have to) get rid of mine!
TEN BENEFITS OF WALKING IN DIVINE FAVOR
1. Favor for supernatural increase and promotion:"But the Lord was with Joseph; and showed him mercy and loving-kindness and gave him favor in the sight of the warden in prison." - Genesis 39:21
2. Favor for restoration of everything that the enemy has stolen from you:"And I will give this people favor and respect in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall be that when you go, you shall not go empty-handed." - Exodus 3:21
3. Favor and honor in the midst of your adversaries:"And the Lord gave the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians. Moreover, the man Moses was exceedingly great in the land of Egypt, in the sight of Pharaoh's servants and of the people." - Exodus 11:3
4. Favor for increased assets, especially in the area of real estate:"...O Naphtali, satisfied with favor and full of the blessing of the Lord, possess the Sea (of Galilee) and (it's warm, sunny climate like) the south" - Deut. 33:23
5. Favor for the greatest victories you have ever experienced, especially in the midst of impossible odds:"For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts that they should come against Israel in battle, that (Israel) might destroy them utterly, and that without favor and mercy, as the Lord commanded Moses." - Joshua 11:20
6. Favor to receive recognition even when you seem to be a person least likely to receive it:"And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, 'Let David now stand before me, for he has found favor in my sight'" - 1 Sam. 16:22
7. Favor for prominence and preferential treatment:"And the King loved Esther more than all the women, and she obtained grace and favor in his sight more than all the maidens, so that he set the royal crown on her head and made her queen instead of Vashti." - Esther 2:17
8. Favor for petitions to be granted by ungodly civil authorities:"Then Esther said, 'My petition and my request is; If I have found favor in the sight of the King and if it pleases the King to grant my petition and to perform my request, ...and I will do tomorrow as the King has said." - Esther 5:8
9. favor for policies, rules and regulations, even laws to be changed or reversed to your advantage:"And she said, 'If it pleases the King and if I had found favor in his sight and the thing seems right before the King and I am pleasing in his eyes, let it be written to reverse the letters devised..." - Esther 8:5
10. Favor for battles to be won in your behalf that you don't have to fight for:"For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, neither did their own arm save them; but Your right and Your arm and the light of your countenance (did it), because you were favorable toward and did delight in them." - Psalm 44:3
© Todd Tyszka
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way, you do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction, you do not make more than 500 physical copies, and you include the following statement on any distributed copy:
From Todd Tyszka. © Todd Tyszka. Website: www.toddtyszka.com. Email: email@example.com.
For web posting, a link to this document on our website is required. Any exceptions to the above must be formally approved by Todd Tyszka.