Who You Are In Christ
Who Does God Say I Am?
The following excerpt is from Conformed To His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation by Kenneth Boa.
The following biblical affirmations about our identity in Jesus Christ are derived from a few selected passages in the New Testament. These passages teach a portion of the many truths about who we have become through faith in God's Son.
- I am a child of God.
- I am a branch of the true vine, and a conduit of Christ's life.
- I am a friend of Jesus.
- I have been justified and redeemed.
Romans 3:23-24; Romans 6:6
- I will not be condemned by God, I have been set free from the law of sin and death.
- As a child of God, I am a fellow heir with Christ.
- I have been accepted by Christ.
- I have been called to be a saint
1 Corinthians 1:2; Ephesians 1:1; Philippians 1:1; Colossians 1:2
- In Christ Jesus, I have wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption.
1 Corinthians 1:30
- My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who dwells in me
1 Corinthians 3:16; 1 Corinthians 6:19
- I am joined to the Lord and am one spirit with him.
1 Corinthians 6:17
- God leads me in the triumph and knowledge of Christ.
2 Corinthians 2:14
- The hardening of my mind has been removed in Christ.
2 Corinthians 3:14
- I am a new creature in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:17
- I have become the righteousness of God in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:21
- I have been made one with all who are in Christ Jesus.
- I am no longer a slave but a child of an heir.
- I have been set free in Christ.
- I have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
- I am chosen, holy, and blameless before God.
- I am redeemed and forgiven by the grace of Christ.
- I have been predestined by God to obtain an inheritance.
- I have been sealed with the Holy Spirity of promise.
- Because of God's mercy and love, I have been made alive with Christ.
- I am seated in the heavenly places with Christ.
- I am God's workmanship created to produce good works.
- I have been brought near to God by the blood of Christ.
- I am a member of Christ's body and a partaker of His promise.
Ephesians 3:6; Ephesians 5:30
- I have boldness and confident access to God through faith in Christ.
- My new self is righteous and holy.
- I was formerly darkness, but now I am light in the Lord.
- I am a citizen of heaven.
- The peace of God guards my heart and mind.
- God supplies all my needs.
- I have been made complete in Christ.
- I have been raised up with Christ.
- My life is hidden with Christ in God.
- Christ is my life, and I will be revelaed with him in glory.
- I have been chosen of God, and I am holy and beloved.
- God loves me and has chosen me.
1 Thessalonians 1:4
Review this powerful inventory frequently, since it reminds us of truths we quickly forget amid the worries and cares of this world. The more we embrace these affirmations from Scripture, the more stable, grateful, and fully assured we will be in the course of our lives. I would add that it is essential for us to see ourselves as God sees us to even come close to accomplish what He has for us. We are first of all spirits, and God placed us in physical bodies so we could experience the physical until we return to spirit. He has wonderful plans for us as sons and daughters to be about our Father's business... an adventure unlike anything we can imagine if we will only yield to his perfect will for us. I pray you are led by the Holy Spirit into this adventure!
Questions For Personal Application
© Todd Tyszka
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way, you do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction, you do not make more than 500 physical copies, and you include the following statement on any distributed copy:
From Todd Tyszka. © Todd Tyszka. Website: www.toddtyszka.com. Email: [email protected]
For web posting, a link to this document on our website is required. Any exceptions to the above must be formally approved by Todd Tyszka.